“Genius (success) is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration” Thomas Edison
Having the right mindset and attitude through positive thinking is the first step to achieving success. However, ultimately achieving successful outcomes will require action through the power of positive doing. Success will only emerge from the actions you implement in life, once you have taken the opportunity to think about what you want and then plan what you are going to do.
Positive doing is about being motivated to take responsibility and to action a number of activities that result in progress along a planned roadmap or action plan. Even though we may deviate from our initial plan the key to success is the power of positive doing.
Tips to becoming more positive in life:
- Focus on positive thoughts and remove any negative thoughts from your mind
- Take responsibility of your life or someone else will
- Find your direction and sense of purpose in life
- Be assertive by cultivating your self-confidence
- Value and respect yourself to improve your self-esteem
- Face your fears and challenges in life as a first step to releasing your negative blocks
- Get involved and make a contribution through the actions you take
- Enjoy and celebrate your achievements
Positive thinking must be followed up with positive doing. Although I am a strong advocate of positive thinking, this alone will not achieve the outcomes you desire. You must act upon the positive thoughts, ideas and plans that you establish by implementing positive action.
Following are the ingredients to implementing a positive action plan:
- Determine the goals and objectives
- Define the “what, who, when, where and how”
- Identify the specific tasks and sub-components
- Determine the key milestones
- Assign responsibility for each task and the timeline required
- Implement tasks and monitor progress
- Revise any tasks as required and celebrate the outcomes
You can use the following template to develop and implement your action plan.
The key to positive doing after establishing your action plan is to just START. Many people fail to execute their plans because they don’t start implementation for a number of reasons, including procrastination, not knowing how to begin, wanting everything to be perfect, mental roadblocks, or fear of taking action.
To implement a “positive doing” strategy in your life you must:
- Start your action plan
- Begin taking positive action steps
- Maintain self-discipline
- Periodically stop to reflect and evaluate
- Continue to drive your actions
- Check off your milestones
Dr John Kapeleris